Microbiology is concerned with the detection, isolation and identification of microbes in clinical samples.
The NHS Lothian Microbiology service is spread over two sites: the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and St. John's Hospital, Livingston.
Within Microbiology there are a number of departments and specialisms.
- Mycology (fungal studies)
- Scottish Mycobacteria Reference Laboratory (SMRL – for TB and related organisms)
- Scottish E.coli Reference Laboratory (SERL)
- Scottish Bacterial Sexually Transmitted Infections Laboratory (SBSTIRL)
- Scottish Human Papilloma Virus Reference Laboratory (SHPVRL)
For information on how to access the Microbiology service please click on the documents below: