Medical Microbiology clinical advice telephone service changes effective from 03/07/23
The Department of Medical Microbiology, due to staffing pressures, unfortunately has to limit clinical queries to our telephone service:
- Clinical questions should be escalated through user's own teams in the first instance
- Clinical staff must consult the relevant infection and laboratory guidance before contacting microbiology. These are:
- Antimicrobial guidelines for adults
- Antimicrobial guidelines for children and young people
- Edinburgh laboratory medicine website
- There is also advice on how to contact microbiology on the antimicrobial companion.
- The Microbiology clinical advice telephone service will support:
- Clinical calls to Medical Microbiology from doctors ≥ FY2 grade.
- Weekdays, Monday- Friday, advice is available between 11am - 4pm.
- Calls out with 11am – 4pm period but within 9 am – 5 pm are for clinically urgent calls only.
- For further information, please click here:
Thank you for your understanding,
Dr. Pota Kalima
Clinical Lead and Consultant Microbiologist, Medical Microbiology